Skip to main content

Forgiveness: An important lesson for kids


It’s a happy time for you when your kids are nicely sitting and playing with sibling or a friend at playdate. And then all of a sudden you hear the screams and one trying to hit the other. You getting mad at them and they both are correct and both are wrong. You are trying to sort out but none is ready to understand because what they want to do is hit the other one, maybe because that is what satisfies them. We just think that why can’t the elder one just understand and “forgive”. Why doesn’t the younger one just obey the elder one and be gentle and forgiving.
Well! Teaching our kids to be forgiving is very important but how is the big question. These are few tips I follow with my 2 kids.
1.       Release out: As elders even kids need to vent out their feelings, anger and frustration. To make my kids confident I always ensure that they vent out. If the kids don’t vent out properly they tend to bottle negative emotions and learn to live in stress.
 After a massive fight the first thing I ensure is I give each one a chance to speak out their side. And after they complete their story it’s important to analyse the situation there and then with them. So I cross question them who do you think is correct, how you could avoid such a situation. How you can tackle it calmly and patiently. If they are very aggressive I tell them to punch a pillow so that they can calm down their rage. And probably set them to speak out their feelings to me.
2.       Talk it out: I tell them it’s perfectly okay to be angry but we should know how to bring that anger out without being physical with others. If we “forgive” the other person feels grateful and never repeats the similar behaviour to you again. We try to set rule “talk with hands and feet to yourself”. I tell them to repeat the rule and then follow the same with each other. I ensure my kids talk to each other about their fight and who went wrong and apologise to each other. This will make them learn how to sort major issues in life by talking out peacefully and being forgiving. They should not keep any antipathies in their heart and feel heavy hearted about any issue. This will make them happy and a more sorted as a person.
3.       Being empathetic: At times as a parent I need to tell them a story or incidence that happened with me. How I tackle my emotions and label their emotions. When my kids are really upset with some issue that happened in my absence maybe at school, it becomes very important for me to show some empathy and show them that we all sail in same boat but what matters is being forgiving and staying happy. I always avoid to ignore my child by assuming that they are being over dramatic over an issue. As a mother I need to give all ears to my child to vent out their emotions and feel relieved from the stress.
4.       Forgiving model: Just talking and giving time to the child doesn’t help. As said by K.Heath” kids are like a mirror, what they see and hear they do. Be a good reflection for them.” The same thing we need to do to our kids. I try to set a forgiving model in our house. If the elders in the house have some issues we try to talk and sort. If one of us is angry and loud the other tries to be patient and try to talk out. If we showcase the forgiving model then only will the kids learn. Just teaching and not conforming ourselves doesn’t help.

 It’s important for the kids to learn that forgiving the loved ones build stronger bonds and ensure life long happiness.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to time your kids TV and Gadgets time?

The little ones know how to use the gadgets better than parents. Some parents feel proud of their kids for such an achievement but for most it’s a topic of concern. It was a big concern when I went and interacted with other fellow parents in the soccer class that 2 year old or maybe 3 year old are fixed to mobile phone. It has become an easy way for parents to keep their kids quiet and busy by just giving them a phone or IPad to watch a cartoon show on YouTube while they finish their job. We were in the soccer class when one 5 year old was playing the game but the little one was just not ready to sit so the poor mother had no other option rather than giving her the phone with her favourite cartoon on. I do the same several times to keep my kids busy. When I have to finish my household core or maybe some pending office work, the best way to keep my kids busy and not disturb me is give them phone or put their favourite movie on TV. But the alarming part for me was when my kids st

Developing healthy habits in kids

The pizza, burgers, hot chips are so yummy and difficult to resist for kids. But this yummy taste is certainly turning out to be a big trouble for the present generation. As the kids are moving away from fresh natural food and growing closer to fast food. The percentage of obese kids is rising in all the countries. As an aware parent it becomes our duty to understand the cause of the child’s growing fondness towards unhealthy food. The taste is one big factor that pushes the kids towards fast food but other than that there are some external triggers that we must identify. The external triggers are the factors that are present outside the child’s body and pushes the child towards unhealthy food. The external factors could be: 1.        Presence of unhealthy food at home : If the eating table has unhealthy food options visible, the child will certainly choose the same. But if we stop bringing such unhealthy options at home the child will have to look for something healthy that

HAPPY MUMS MAKE A HAPPY FAMILY….GO FOR A ME TIME!!!

ME time! What? Who is going to take care of all that is pending at my home? My kids, their homework, folding cloths, cooking, cleaning….I don’t have time to sleep and here we talk about “ME TIME”. I have to go to office as well.  Yes but a good family and kids can be raised by a happy mother. At times it’s good to slow down a little to run faster later. Everyone needs a break from the monotonous routine. The downtime will give you the stamina to run that extra mile. It just looks like we can’t take a break but slowly this get into the routine and we all will start looking forward for the “ME TIME”. A happy relaxed mother can complete the work faster than a completely drained out mother. So don’t neglect yourself. Find three hobbies: ·          One to earn you money….that’s possibly your job ·          One to keep you in shape ·          One to bring out your creativity Here are few ideas for your “Me Time” to give your family the happiest mother. 1.        Dance a