Skip to main content

Transition from Pre-School to Primary School

How excited my little one was today for his interview at the 'BIG SCHOOL".
Transition from the Pre-school to a primary school is definitely a big step for all the kids. But I guess it’s more of a challenge for me as a mother. My son seems all set to get into his new role. He is excited. He says “I am a big boy". But I am still thinking…
Has my little baby actually grown into a big boy who is all set for this transition?
I have been talking to so many parents and colleagues about him. What is their opinion about the child going to school? Will the child feel actually pressurised by the system of ‘BIG’ school education? Should they play for another year at pre-school and gain a little more maturity level?
And the most important of all “Will I be ready next year to send him to school or will I face the same anxiety?”
The questions in my mind are endless and so are the opinions. Some suggest that it’s better to keep your child back till he turns complete 6. Some suggest that since the government has marked the entry age as 5 so that means it’s perfectly fine to send him to school.
Well my husband convinced me. I spoke to his pre-school teachers. They all had the opinion that he was school ready. But the mother in me is still anxious.
So I filled up his form and here comes the day when I, my husband and my little baby have been called for an interview at the big school.
My son is very excited. He had a session at his pre-school with the Rangers. So he made a possum house. He was excited to show the possum house to the principal and everyone at the school. Well he was much liked and appreciated by everyone.
Well the interview began. The teacher asked a lot of questions about him. Then came the question at him. “Do you know counting?” very confidently he answered “till infinity”. I was amazed at my little boy knowing such big concepts.
That moment I felt that my little boy is actually a grown up. He is not shy talking to new people. He knows how to put his thoughts forward and he doesn’t need me to poke him for any conversation. He was able to handle the conversation nicely.
The teacher was convinced and commented that she feels an intelligent boy is making his way to the school.
I think it takes time for you to absorb that your younger child is also growing.

Well I have prepared myself for this transition. Your kids make you learn so much in life. Each child is different and needs to be dealt differently.No set parameters can decide the right age for your child to make the transition from pre-school to primary school. We as mothers need to decide whether the child is ready or not. We need to look into several factors to check the school readiness for the child. Talk a lot with your child to judge his readiness. Is your child able to manage basic thing by himself? The child should be able to communicate his views to people other than his parents. In case the child is shy we need to prepare the child to talk out his difficulties in various situations. As a mother we need to give that confidence in the child that he will be safe in the new primary school and in case of any problem he can always speak up to the teacher or his family. 
 I hope this decision turns out as a good one for my BIG boy.

Comments

  1. I can associate with you.I am a grandmother and i think all mothers go through this experience.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to time your kids TV and Gadgets time?

The little ones know how to use the gadgets better than parents. Some parents feel proud of their kids for such an achievement but for most it’s a topic of concern. It was a big concern when I went and interacted with other fellow parents in the soccer class that 2 year old or maybe 3 year old are fixed to mobile phone. It has become an easy way for parents to keep their kids quiet and busy by just giving them a phone or IPad to watch a cartoon show on YouTube while they finish their job. We were in the soccer class when one 5 year old was playing the game but the little one was just not ready to sit so the poor mother had no other option rather than giving her the phone with her favourite cartoon on. I do the same several times to keep my kids busy. When I have to finish my household core or maybe some pending office work, the best way to keep my kids busy and not disturb me is give them phone or put their favourite movie on TV. But the alarming part for me was when my kids st

Developing healthy habits in kids

The pizza, burgers, hot chips are so yummy and difficult to resist for kids. But this yummy taste is certainly turning out to be a big trouble for the present generation. As the kids are moving away from fresh natural food and growing closer to fast food. The percentage of obese kids is rising in all the countries. As an aware parent it becomes our duty to understand the cause of the child’s growing fondness towards unhealthy food. The taste is one big factor that pushes the kids towards fast food but other than that there are some external triggers that we must identify. The external triggers are the factors that are present outside the child’s body and pushes the child towards unhealthy food. The external factors could be: 1.        Presence of unhealthy food at home : If the eating table has unhealthy food options visible, the child will certainly choose the same. But if we stop bringing such unhealthy options at home the child will have to look for something healthy that

HAPPY MUMS MAKE A HAPPY FAMILY….GO FOR A ME TIME!!!

ME time! What? Who is going to take care of all that is pending at my home? My kids, their homework, folding cloths, cooking, cleaning….I don’t have time to sleep and here we talk about “ME TIME”. I have to go to office as well.  Yes but a good family and kids can be raised by a happy mother. At times it’s good to slow down a little to run faster later. Everyone needs a break from the monotonous routine. The downtime will give you the stamina to run that extra mile. It just looks like we can’t take a break but slowly this get into the routine and we all will start looking forward for the “ME TIME”. A happy relaxed mother can complete the work faster than a completely drained out mother. So don’t neglect yourself. Find three hobbies: ·          One to earn you money….that’s possibly your job ·          One to keep you in shape ·          One to bring out your creativity Here are few ideas for your “Me Time” to give your family the happiest mother. 1.        Dance a